Monday, August 20, 2012

A Faux Tintype Tutorial


At last, after numerous requests....
my faux tintype tutortial


Here is what you will need:
1. your images printed on cardstock
2. black cardstock
3. glue
4. Ranger's Glossy Accents
5. wax paper or freezer paper to work on
(trust me you will need it)


Keep your images together as large as possible.
It's easier to add the Glossy Accent to larger pieces.

Lay your freezer paper down (slick side up).
Slowly squeeze the Glossy Accents on your images
 and using your finger swipe the liquid downward.
Do Not Swirl. How you apply this - is how it dries.
Let dry for 1-3 hours.


Glue the dried images onto black cardstock.
Let this dry for 1 hour.


Carefully cut the images and you can allow the black cardstock to show on the edges.
Up to you.


Trim them as you like and you can make a charm
 by using a hole punch and a jumpring.


For your art, for adding to a wrapped gift...so many things you can do with these.
Take your time, do not rush.
Remember, mistakes are a part of the learning process.


I hope you enjoyed my first tutorial.
Happy creating everyone!

Let me know how they turn out!

Rhonda

16 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Rhonda! I've been agonizing over how to do this. Could you share just two more tidbits? What weight cardstock are you using? and Are your images laser or inkjet print?

    Thanks again
    ~Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Glenda,
    The cardstock I use was given to me by a local printer going out of business, so I am not sure of the weight. I would have to guess it's a thicker cardstock. It feeds through my inkjet printer okay.

    The black cardstock, get as thick as you want. You are only glueing to it, so it's up to your taste.

    Hope I've helped and I hope it will work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhonda dear, how kind of you to give us this great tutorial - I've always wondered how you did it!!
    I'll try and order it online and give it a go!

    BTW you have the best images - love your vintage photos of mademoiselles and mesdames!!

    Merci beaucoup mon ami!
    hugs and love
    Shane xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely tutorial... thank you so much for sharing it with us!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! Cardstock weight is giving me h-e doule l. There are so many variations! Also, I'm having trouble with inkjet running. Some things I take to Staples for the laser printer, but I've started sealing inkjet with a matte spray before I try to work with the images. Hoping that works out better, Staples is cheap, especially if you take your own paper, but it's hard for me to be that organized, lol.

    Thanks again for the tute!

    ~Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot wait to get back from vacation and try this! Great idea and the tutorial is explained is such easy terms! Thanks so much for being so generous and sharing this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rhonda, love your tutorial! I will be doing this for sure,,,Thanks for sharing...Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankyou sweet Rhonda, for your great tutorial. I will have to try,this and see if I can make them as beautiful as yours.
    Wishing you a lovely day,dear.
    Hugs,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the clear tutorial on faux tintypes. I can't wait to give this a try and see if it comes out as well for me. I have admired yours for awhile and want to thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this fabulous tutorial! I can't wait to try it! I love your examples.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing..Good tutorial..Good job..I'll put that on my "Things to do " list..Enjoy your day...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merci for this great tutorial,Rhonda.
    Have a beautiful day.
    Hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely tutorial Rhonda! Thank you for sharing!

    xo
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooh, so thats how its done! I am the proud owner of some of your faux tin types, and they really are gorgeous. I will have to give this a go myself when I get back to the UK (and my printer). Thank you for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you so much for this wonderful tutorial, Rhonda...for a first timer, it's fabulous!! I've pinned it to my I Can Make That pinterest board, with credit going to you.
    xoxo
    Karen

    www.karensmondaymusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I hope you found some inspiration today.
Rhonda of A Little Bit French